Private personal guided half-day tour to Malahide Castle & gardens. Pickup and return to any Dublin city hotel. (4 hours) 2 - 7 persons
Your personal Failte Ireland tour guide, will collect you from any Dublin city centre hotel. Leave the large crowds behind and enjoy this personal private half day tour, travel along the east coast with wonderful vistas on route to Malahide castle one of Ireland's oldest and most historical castles. You will also visit Howth, a charming fishing port just North of Dublin. At Howth's sumit there are spectacular views across Dublin Bay. Take a stroll along the golden sands at Portmarnock beach, before we arrive at Malahide castle and gardens. This private half day tour option is extremely popular and advanced online booking is required. So if you have a couple off hours free before or after your conference in Dublin, or if you are looking for an ideal shore excursion, from a cruise ship visiting Dublin port, this is a fantastic castle and coastal tour from Dublin.
Malahide Castle, brief History
Malahide Castle is one of the oldest and most historic castles in Ireland. From 1185 until 1975, it was the home of the Talbot family. This was a remarkable tenure by a single family and is one of the longest in Ireland. Explore this top visitor attraction on a private day tour option.
- The estate began in 1185, when Richard Talbot, a knight who accompanied England’s King, Henry II to Ireland in 1174, was granted the "lands and harbour of Malahide".
- Strongbow was granted the remainder of Leinster.
- The oldest parts of the castle date back to the 12th century.
- The castle was notably enlarged in the reign of England’s King, Edward IV, and the towers were added in 1765.
- In the 1920s the private papers of James Boswell were discovered in the castle, and sold to American collector Ralph H. Isham by Boswell's great-great-grandson Lord Talbot of Malahide.
The ornamental gardens adjoining the castle cover an area of about 22 acres and were largely created by Lord Milo Talbot. He was an enthusiastic plant collector who brought specimens from around the world to create the gardens here; he also re-landscaped the grounds here to dramatic effect. Your tour includes entrance into the famous gardens, plus entrance and fully guided tour at one of Ireland's oldest castles.
In all there are in excess of 5000 difference species and varieties of plants. Best described as a small Botanic garden. In addition to the abundance of flora our exhibition presents a fascinating and wonderful insight into the many southern hemisphere plant species.
Highlights Include -
- Qualified approved local guide
- Dublin city & coastal tour
- Howth fishing village
- Visit to Avoca handweavers outlet
- Visit one of Ireland's 12th century castle's
- Free time to explore one of Ireland's garden's
Personal private tours from Dublin
IMPORTANT - when making a reservation, select Failte Ireland Tourist office as the default pickup location or cruise terminal at Dublin port for cruise ship passengers visiting Dublin.
Once the booking is approved we will contact you via e mail or phone to arrange to collect you directly from your hotel or cruise ship.
- Pickup and return to your Dublin based hotel or cruise ship terminal
- Failte Ireland approved tour guide services throughout your private tour
- Short Dublin city tour
- Comfortable air-conditioned mini van
- Tolls / parking fees associated with this private tour
Whats not included
- Entrance fees at visitor attraction (Malahide Castle)
- Refreshments / lunch
PRICE QUOTED BELOW €200.00 is for a tour vehicle suitable for 2 - 7 persons